Frequently Asked Questions–Trombone Majors

Since auditions don’t take place until the first week of classes, when/how do I register for ensembles? Wait until audition results are posted during the first week of classes, then add your ensemble(s) by getting an add code from the ensemble director(s). The one related thing you can do now, as you work out your schedule, is keep afternoons as open as possible: orchestras meet M/W 1-3, bands meet T/Th 1-3, jazz bands meet M/W 3-5, and marching band meets T/Th/F 4-6.

I’m extremely busy. Do I have to be in a large ensemble? Any semester you have a music scholarship you are required to be in a large ensemble. In addition to this scholarship requirement, there are large also ensemble degree requirements which vary according to degree–music performance, music education, media music, etc.

The time that shows up on my schedule for trombone lessons is 5:00 pm on Mondays. Is that my regular lesson time? The posted time for trombone instruction, Mondays 5:00-6:50 pm, is the regular master class time for everyone in the trombone studio. Everyone in lessons is required to attend this weekly master class, where we cover studio business, perform regularly, gain critical listening experience, and rehearse trombone ensemble music. Additionally, you will have a regular private lesson, which you sign up for during the first week of classes.

What if master class conflicts with another class or event? The BYU School of Music policy is that no other music courses, events, or activities are allowed to take precedence over weekly studio master classes. If master class conflicts with a non-major course, you will need to take a different section of that course or select an alternative course. Students will also not be excused from master class to attend concerts, participate in study groups, pick up family members from the airport, prepare for family night, etc. Although this may seem harsh, it is necessary to maintain the consistency and integrity of the School of Music master class component, a crucial element of the music degree. Master class attendance and participation are part of the applied lesson grade.

How do I sign up for a lesson time? Sign up for a lesson time on the board outside Dr. Kimball’s office (normally posted beginning the week before classes start).

When do lessons start? Lessons normally start at the end of the first week of classes. Check the board outside Dr. Kimball’s office during the first week of classes.

When will jazz band and jazz combo auditions be held? Jazz auditions are normally held during the middle of the first week of classes. See postings around the School of Music and on the board outside Dr. Kimball’s office for exact times.

When/where will jazz band audition materials be posted, and what exactly will be on the audition? Because of the nature of jazz auditions, including the emphasis on reading and rapid preparation, prepared jazz materials are normally posted a few days before auditions, during the beginning of the first week of classes. Again, see postings around the School of Music and on the board outside Dr. Kimball’s office (E465). Prepared trombone materials will be posted on the board outside Dr. Kimball’s office. Jazz auditions normally consist of prepared music, sight reading, and optional improvisation (blues or rhythm changes).

I would like to rent a bass trombone or jazz horn. How do I check out an instrument? See Dr. Kimball to be assigned an instrument and get the signature on the Instrument Release Form, then take the form to the BYU Instrument Office (E 393, Harris Fine Arts Center; 801-422-2352). Other materials (like mutes and mouthpieces) don’t require a signature and can be rented directly from the Instrument Office. The Instrument Office also has for purchase a few basic items like slide lubricant, valve oil, and cleaning snakes.

How can I get a locker for my instrument? Lockers can be checked out through the BYU Instrument Office (E 393, Harris Fine Arts Center; 801-422-2352). Be sure to get one early–they go fast!

Who should I contact with all my music major coursework questions? The School of Music has an excellent Academic Advisor you should meet with regularly. Contact the Advisement Center (D444 HFAC, 801-422-3777) to set up an appointment to discuss which classes you should take this year, how to graduate on time, how to test out of a class, what a double major entails, how to make sure you get AP/transfer credit, etc. I recommend taking full advantage of the Advisement Center–they are excellent folks who will help keep you on track!